Carol Fetters Phone: 228-596-5014 Email
This year’s National theme “Banding Together for our Veterans”, and the Department of Mississippi’s theme, “Soaring Above and Beyond for Veterans” is the lifeblood of the Hospital Program. The volunteer efforts of our members and working together will make a huge difference in the lives of our hospitalized veterans.
WOMEN’S HEALTH CARE
Women veterans are the fastest growing group within our veteran population. The VA is working towards meeting their health care needs. If one qualifies for VA health care, they can access these high-quality benefits.
· General services, like disease prevention and nutrition counseling.
· Reproductive health services, such as birth control, preconception counseling and menopausal support, including hormone replacement therapy.
· Screenings including cervical cancer screens (pap smears) and breast cancer screens (mammograms).
· Mental health services for depression, post-traumatic stress (PTS) and substance abuse problems.
· Free, confidential counseling and treatment for mental and physical health conditions related to military sexual trauma (MST).
CELEBRATING NON-TRADITIONAL HOLIDAYS
Our National Hospital Ambassador would like for all volunteers to think outside the box in organizing “fun” for our veterans. Our veterans love celebrating traditional holidays, but maybe they would also enjoy celebrating some non-traditional holidays. Some of these September holidays are:
Plan an event that is different and usual!
I am sure there are many ways to celebrate these and other different holidays for our veterans.
Oct. 1 – International Coffee Day (Bring different coffees)
Oct. 1 – National Homemade Cookies Day
Oct. 4 – National Taco Day (Make tacos at the hospital, better still, let them make their own)
Oct. 10 – National Angel Food Cake Day (Always delicious)
Oct. 12 – National Gumbo Day (What a great meal)
Oct. 13 – National M & M Day (Bring bags of M&M’s)
Oct. 14 – National Dessert Day
Oct. 23 – National Boston Cream Pie Day
These holidays are an excellent chance to show your veterans a different look on your VA or Nursing Home Visits. Take care of their caretakers also.
AWARDS FOR DEPARTMENTS AND DEPARTMENT CHAIRMEN
1. $25 VFW Store Gift Certificate to one Department Hospital Chairman in each of the 10
Program Divisions for the best promotion that recognizes veterans on non-traditional holidays at any Hospital (VA and non-VA facilities). Winners will be announced and awards presented at the 2024 National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky.
2. Outstanding Performance Award in each of the 10 Program Divisions based on criteria
listed on Page XX and for the promotion of Program Goals listed at the top of Page XX. Winners will be announced and awards presented at the 2024 National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky.