Michelle Brinson Email 901-734-8160
Lights, Camera, and Action
Department of MS Membership
Flier for November 2023
Hello everyone. Hope all of you are doing well. It was great seeing so many of you at the recent School of Instruction in Gulfport. Let’s look at what Membership means to our organization but, most importantly, to our Veterans. Membership is the lifeblood of our organization and, without members, we would not have the voice that we have and would not be
able to accomplish the great things that we do in support of and for our Veterans. Without each of you and without new members, who will take care of our Veterans? It’s scary to think about, or should be. Why? Because each of you matter not only to your Auxiliary, District, Department, and Organization, but because each of you matter to our Veterans.
This year, we need to retain 778 continuous annual members (annual members who renew or convert to a life member) compared to 840 continuous annual members last year. As of October 28, 2023, we have had 218 annual members renew their dues and 43 annual members convert to a life member; sadly, however, we have already lost 1 annual member who passed away. So, what does this mean? This means we have 516 annual members who have not yet renewed their dues or converted to a life member. The question we need to answer is why. Why are we losing so many members who do not choose to renew their dues, and what can we do to change this trend and keep members active and involved? With that in mind, now is the time to please be sure to contact those continuous annual members who have not yet renewed their dues or converted to a life member. Remember, you can generate dues reminder notices in MALTA to mail to your annual members and/or you can reach out to them by phone, letter, text, message, email, or face-to-face. Please encourage their participation and let them know how important they are to your auxiliary, our organization, and to all Veterans and their families.
So far this year, we have gained 35 new annual members, 14 new life members. and 1 rejoin life member. Sadly, however, we have also already lost 30 life members who have passed away. As of October 28, 2023, our “Current Total” Membership (excluding our 31 deceased members) was 2,386 or 82.67% and our “Paid Total” Membership (including our 31 deceased
members) was 2,417 or 83.75%.
So, Lights, Camera, Action:
Remember, this year, we are incorporating movies into our Membership Program, and we want to make it fun for all and help our Southern Conference Director win the prestigious award for Best Picture of the 2023-2024 Program Year. So, let’s all “Band Together” to help make this happen by inviting new members, investing in all members, and including current members. Keep all members informed, encourage their participation, and get them involved in activities/events. Have a Plan that includes: • Contacting current members; • Outreach to former members; • Recruiting events for new members; • Picking a mentor for a new member; •Planning at least four recruiting events in your community each year.
Membership Program Awards:
● Awards for Members:
- Lights, Camera, Action! pin to each VFW and VFW Auxiliary member who recruits five (5) new members to the VFW Auxiliary from July 1, 2023, through May 31,
- The Department Treasurer must enter membership in MALTA with credit given to the recruiter by June 10, 2024. Lights, Camera, Action! pin will be mailed directly to the member from National Headquarters.
- National Membership Achievement (NMA) Award to each VFW and VFW Auxiliary member who recruits 20 new members to the VFW Auxiliary from July 1, 2023, through May 31, 2024. The Department Treasurer must enter membership in MALTA with credit given to the recruiter by June 10, 2024. NMA Award to be presented at the 2024 National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky. If a member is not in attendance, the award will be mailed directly to the member from National Headquarters after the National Convention.
- Lights, Camera, Action! VFW Auxiliary Recruiter Drawing. Each VFW Auxiliary National Membership Achievement Award recipient will be entered into a drawing to receive a $500 Visa Gift Card (VFW Recruiters are not eligible). Recruiter Award Forms are no longer needed for VFW Auxiliary members. Reports are compiled by VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters from information entered in MALTA. VFW members who
recruit new VFW Auxiliary members will need to fill out the required VFW members-only form that is available on MALTA Member Resources. Completed form must be received at VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters and Department Treasurer must enter membership in MALTA by June 10, 2024.
● Awards for Auxiliaries:
- $25 to each Auxiliary that reaches 98% Plus in Paid Total Membership by March 31, 2024*.
- $25 to each Auxiliary that reaches 100% Plus in Paid Total Membership by June 30, 2024*.
- Lights, Camera, Action! VFW Auxiliary Drawing. Each VFW Auxiliary that
reaches 101% Plus in Paid Total Membership by June 30, 2024* will be entered into a one time drawing to receive $500.
I am very happy to report the following auxiliaries have already met or exceeded some or all of the aforementioned goals. Congratulations to Auxiliaries 2618 and 79 for meeting the 98% Plus in Paid Total Membership goals; to Auxiliaries 3978 and 12121 for meeting both the 98% Plus and 100% Plus in Paid Total Membership goals; and to Auxiliaries 12124 and 10567 for meeting the 98% Plus, 100% Plus, and 101% Plus in Paid Total Membership goals. You are all so amazing!
Report Your Membership Activities Monthly. Please remember to complete the monthly reporting form online or by downloading and completing the form and sending it to me via regular mail, or email at no later than the 5th day of each month if possible. If you have problems completing the reporting form online or sending it via regular mail or email, you may call me or text me with your information at 901-734-8160.
Can we reach our goals? I have had the honor to work with you and have seen what all of you have done for the past 2 years, and I believe that we can! Veterans Day is fast approaching and what an amazing gift it would be to renew your membership or convert to a life member in honor of your Veteran(s). Please reach out to your lapsed/unpaid members and encourage
them to renew or convert in honor of their Veteran(s) by November 11, 2023, but no later than November 30, 2023. Let’s continue to honor our Veterans, our Service men and women, their families, our communities, and our organization by keeping our membership current, being involved/active, and asking others to join. Remember, our membership and service matter–You matter and, by “Banding Together,” we can do so much for those who have
sacrificed and done so much for our Country and for all of us.
Soaring Above and Beyond for Veterans,
Michele M. Brinson
Department of Mississippi VFWA