Banding Together for our Veterans
Soaring Above and Beyond for Veterans”
Bulletin No. 2, August, 2023
The HOSPITAL PROGRAM is one of the first nationally adopted programs for the VFW Auxiliary. VFW Auxiliary members have been volunteering in hospitals since 1914 at the organization’s inception.
This year’s “National theme “Banding Together for our Veterans”, and the Department of Mississippi’s theme, “Soaring Above and Beyond for Veterans” assures the Hospital Program will be great again. The past few years has made it difficult to take care of our veterans like we wanted. The volunteer efforts of our members and working together with the hospitals, etc. will make a huge difference in the lives of our hospitalized veterans.
Volunteer Recruitment, Recognition and Support
This year, as in the past, one of the main objectives of the Hospital Program is the necessity to recruit new members! Every day the need to recruit new volunteers is crucial to offset millions of dollars in expenses in health care. Volunteers also create a friendly and caring atmosphere wherever they volunteer!
Here are some tips for recruiting:
- Put up a monthly signup sheet at your Auxiliary and your Post for regular Volunteer events.
- If a volunteer opportunity comes up, contact each volunteer by how they prefer to communicate (email, phone call, Facebook or texting).
- Public recognition for current volunteers.
- Be specific about what is expected and the time involved.
- Just because someone says “no” to one event, does not mean they will not volunteer for something else! Please ask again!
Volunteers can serve in local hospitals, Veterans’ homes, nursing homes, domiciliaries and both VA and non-VA medical clinics and facilities. Anyone can serve; Members, non-members, youth and families. Volunteers can do many things depending on the facility. Some facilities have varying types of opportunities to suit different ages and abilities. Some facilities have a volunteer program in place with specific jobs, events and needs. Whichever facility is available, make sure you know and follow the guidelines of the facility.
Auxiliary members can earn Hospital Volunteer Service Pins from National Headquarters. Your Auxiliary Hospital Chairman should keep track of all volunteers’ hours (both VA and non-VA) and submit an application for the pins. Non-members can earn a one-time only volunteer pin for 100 hours.
CELEBRATING NON-TRADITIONAL HOLIDAYS
Our veterans love celebrating the traditional holidays, but they would also enjoy celebrating some non-traditional holidays also. Some of these August Holidays are:
National Elvis Week, August 9-17, 2023 – Have a good time celebrating Elvis, songs or movies
National Cherry Popsicle Day – August 26, 2023 – bring a bunch of popsicles to the VA or Nursing Home. The patients will enjoy something different.
Plan an event that is different and usual!
AWARDS FOR MEMBERS
- Citation to the VFW Auxiliary member in each of the 10 Program Divisions who recruits the most Hospital (VA and non-VA facilities) volunteers from July 1, 2023, to March 31, 2024. Entry form (required) available on MALTA Member Resources. Citations to be mailed directly to winners after National Convention.
- “Hospital Volunteer Recruiter of the Year” plaque awarded to one Auxiliary member in the nation who recruits the most Hospital volunteers (VA and non-VA facilities) from July 1, 2023 to March 31, 2024. Entry form (required) available in MALTA Member Resources. Plaque to be mailed directly to winner after National Convention.
- Citation to the Outstanding Hospital Volunteer of the Year in each of the 10
Program Divisions. Entry form (required) available at MALTA Member Resources
(vfwauxiliary.org/resources). Citations to be mailed directly to winners after National Convention.
Please bring items for the Hospital Table to Gulfport, MS for the August Council of Administration/School of Instruction.