Banding Together for Our Veterans
Salutations Auxiliary Members! I am so excited to be asked to be chairman of this program for another year. Thank you to Madame President Barbara for entrusting me with it. I look forward to working with all of you again to see just how much support we can give.
Our objective as auxiliaries is to provide support to the VFW and to serve our veterans, service members and their families. This is at the heart of our organization. Our veterans sacrificed so much for us and we need to work to support them now by providing direct aid in the form of meals, transportation, donations(money), the list is endless as to what you can do.
There are several programs within this program and they include:
● National Veterans Service (NVS) – helps to obtain benefits they deserve – at
no cost. Every county in MS has a Service Officer who can help file claims or
work to ensure they receive VA Healthcare.
● Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Awareness – confidential support is
available 24/7 by calling 1-800-MyVA411 for all VA Depts. OR call 988 & press 1, also online at veteranscrisisline.net or text 838255.
For our active duty or recently discharged service members these include:
● Military Assistance (MAPS) – funds ways for VFW & Auxiliary members to give more to their local military units. Contact VFW Veterans & Military Support at 816-756-3390 on how to apply.
● Unmet Needs – grants up to $1500.00 payable to a creditor to help with
rent/mortgage, utilities, auto repairs and more. Visit vfw.org/assistance/financial-grants.
● VFW “Sports Clips” Help a Hero Scholarship – awards scholarships up to
$5000.00 to help complete educational goals. Visit vfw.org/student-veterans-support
Also remember to utilize the Veterans & Family Support materials/resources available on the National website. Visit malta.vfwauxiliary.org and if you are not already signed up in MALTA, please do so.
May we always stand united, in front of, beside and in back of all our veterans, to always support them!
I am always available for questions or help with your report form. You can reach me several ways and send those reports to any of them.